We all know that eating right can help you maintain a healthy weight and avoid certain health problems.Also your diet can have a profound effect on your mood and sense of well being.Eating a healthy diet doesn’t have to be overly complicated. While some specific foods or nutrients have been shown to have a beneficial effect on mood, it’s your overall dietary pattern that is most important. The cornerstone of a healthy diet pattern should be to replace processed food with real food whenever possible. Eating food that is as close as possible to the way nature made it can make a huge difference to the way you think, look, and feel. By using simple tips you can learn how to create a tasty, varied and healthy diet that is good for your mind as it is for your body.Follow the diet chart below which is useful for you to decide the diet pattern for your lifestyle.
LOW FAT,LOW CHOLESTROL FOOD
- Juices like tomato juice,lime juice
- Pepper water(Rasam and Clear Soup)
- Plain Soda
- Green leafy vegetables
- Fresh green salads and other vegetables except roots and tubers
- Fat free pickles
FOOD PERMITTED IN LIMITED QUANTITY
- Vegetable oils, Suffola oil, Sunflower oil, Sesame oil and Soyabean oil are better than other vegetable oils.Allowance per day=4-5 teaspoons
- Mayonnaise and other sauces made in vegetable oil
- Egg yolks not more than twice per week, including those used in cooking of cakes, sauces, desserts etc..
- Lean meat, Chicken, Fish in limited amount provided they are cooked without fat, ie boiled, steamed, roasted or baked.Chicken and fish are not more than 4 times a week and lean meat not more than once in a week
- Milk intake per day not to exceed 300ml
FOOD TO BE AVOIDED
- Fats like butter, ghee, vanaspathi, coconut oil
- Fried foods and foods cooked in too much fat eg. chips, samosa, patties, pappad, bhaji etc.
- Puddings, cakes, pastries and ice-creams
- Ham, Bacon, yolk of eggs, red meat, organ meats, crab, shrimps etc.Pickle made in oil
- Milk products like cheese, khoa, cream etc
- Nuts like almonds, cashewnuts, peanuts
- High fibre foods like salads and boiled vegetables, sprouted grams pulses,fruits with skins, whenever possible and whose wheat flour and its products, parboiled, rice etc in preference to refined flour and pulses
- Skimmed milk and its products like curd, cheese, paneer, desserts etc should be taken in limited quantity.(Maximum skimmed milk allowance per day is 500-600ml).
GENERAL PRINCIPLES OF DIET FOR DIABETES
- The most important aspect of treatment in diabetes is diet control.
- There is no special diet as such for Diabetes.It should be the same as what the individual is accustomed to.
- There is a notion that Rice should not be taken by a diabetic and only wheat or ragi should be used.This is wrong idea.All c
ereals, whether it is rice, wheat, ragi, cholam or jowar etc., contain about 70% of starch. So, the type of cereal that is taken is not important, only the quantity that is taken matters.Therefore, rice can be used by diabetic.
- Protein intake should be increased by the addition of whole grams like bengalgram, greengram etc., and dhalls.
- Fibre rich foods are very good for controlling diabetes and for reducing blood cholesterol.Rich sources of natural fibre are whole cereals, pulses like bengal gram, black gram, green gram etc., vegetables and greeen leafy vegetables.The vegetables that can be taken in umlimited amounts are:
- Bitter gourd
- Bottle gourd
- Cauli flower
- Cluster beans
- Giant chillies(Capsicum)
- Plantain stem
- Greens(all varieties)
- Ash gourd
- Knol knol
- Ladies finger
- Plantain flower
- Ridge gourd
- White radish
- snake gourd
- Tomato(raw & ripe)
- Coreander leaves
- Curry leaves
- Fat intake should be reduced to prevent increase in blood cholesterol and prevent crdio-vascular problems.The type of fat to be used is important.Higghly saturated fats like Ghee, Butter,Coconut oil etc., should not be used.